Ok, just ONE more challenge. Then I'm done. Actually, this one is so easy it doesn't even hardly count. The Books Awards Reading Challenge is hosted by 3M and the goal is to read 12 award winning books between July 1, 2007 and June 30, 2008. Books CAN overlap with other challenges, which means my list is mostly made already! Just a handful more and a full year to add them, I think this should work out just fine. As a bonus, I don't have to have my full list now, so I can add things from other, TBD, challenges later.
Here's what I've got so far:
Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (Newbery 1990)
- Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D Taylor (Newbery 1977)
- Up A Road Slowly by Irene Hunt (Newbery 1967)
- A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine D'Engle (Newbery 1963)
- The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Spear (Newbery 1960)
- The Optimist's Daughter by Eudora Welty (Pulitzer 1973)
- Bel Canto by Ann Patchett (Orange Prize 2002)(PEN/Faulker 2002)
- The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (Governor General's Award 1985)
- Possession: A Romance by A. S. Byatt (Man Booker 1990) (not on any other challenge, but on my shelves)
- Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (Pulitzer 2003) (ditto)
- The Road - Cormac McCarthy (Pulitzer 2007) (not on another challenge, but feels like something I should read.)
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by JK Rowling(British Book Award 2006)
3M has set up a nice little blog for this challenge, so come by and sign up- Books Awards Reading Challenge.